Symphony Goes to School… and Beyond!
Are you a school music teacher looking for an engaging and fun way to meet NL Music Curriculum GCO’s and SCO’s? Are you a private music teacher or community music group teacher looking for exciting repertoire and resources for your students? The Symphony Goes to School…and Beyond! Program offers phenomenal resources and materials for K-12 students, private studios, and community music organizations. Materials include sight-readable arrangements, PowerPoint companion presentations, listening activities, and classroom reproducibles.
Other program components
- Masterclasses and workshops
- Why not request a school or studio visit by an NSO musician, guest artist, and/or our principal conductor Marc David? Maybe you would like to take a group of students to attend a guest artist masterclass at MUN School of Music? Or even participate through live stream?
- Pre-concert Cameo Performances
- If you have a student or a group who would like to perform a cameo prelude performance, why not showcase them at one of the Masterworks Series concerts! Each cameo performance will be approximately 15 minutes in length and will take place in the upper concourse.
- Matinée ‘Play-Ins’ with NSO Musicians and Conductor
- School music groups, community music groups, and private studio students can participate in our special “Play In/Sing In” matinee concert on Thursday, February 8, 2018. Students will perform a unique arrangement of Beethoven’s Ode to Joy which can be accessed in our 2017-2018 Materials section.
For more information and to make arrangements, email Jennifer Brennan at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 722-4441
Special Ticketing Opportunities for NSO Masterworks Series concerts for students, teachers, and families.
Students and Parents: Get Masterworks Tickets! (click to apply)
As part of Symphony Goes to School, the NSO invites students and parents to take full advantage of the program by enrolling as Masterworks Series subscribers through the following discounted packages:
Masterworks Series subscriptions for youth are free as long as each child is accompanied by an adult who purchases his/her own Masterworks subscription at a specially reduced rate.
- One youth (free!) + one adult for all four Masterworks concerts – $60.00*
- One Youth (free!) + one adult for two Masterworks concerts – $30.00*
*All ticket fees are due and payable prior to concert.
Teachers: Get Masterworks Tickets! (click to apply)
Schools, community groups, and private music studios who wish to attend the Masterworks Series concerts as a group/studio may do so for a group rate of $10.00 per student per concert. Each accompanying chaperone receives a complimentary ticket
Symphony Goes to School…and Beyond! is developed and presented by the Newfoundland Symphony Orchestra in partnership with Chevron Canada. Curriculum and content produced by Timothy Brennan (2015-2017) and Shawn Bennett (2015) under the direction of Dr. Andrea Rose. Content is for educational purposes only. Reproduction for commercial use is not permitted.
© 2017 Newfoundland Symphony Orchestra.